Friday, January 29, 2010

Blair Calls Iran Nuclear Program a Threat

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair in a testimony today before the Chilcot Inquiry into the Iraq war, said that Iran’s nuclear program is a threat and suggested that military action might be necessary to stop Iran developing its nuclear weapons program.

Blair said Tehran's actions have made him even more afraid today that a rogue state could supply weapons of mass destruction to terrorists than he was when he took Britain to war with Iraq in 2003, raising concerns about Tehran's links with terrorist organizations.

My fear was - and I would say I hold this fear stronger today than I did back then as a result of what Iran particularly today is doing - my fear is that states that are highly repressive or failed, the danger of a WMD link is that they become porous, they construct all sorts of different alliances with people…

When I look at the way that Iran today links up with terror groups - this is a different topic for a different day - but I would say that a large part of the destabilization in the Middle East at the present time comes from Iran…

My judgment - and it may be other people don't take this view, and that's for the leaders of today to make their judgment - is we don't take any risks with this issue…

For a report on Blair’s speech, click to see the Independent article.

No comments: